Working with dates before 4713 BC

From: Ryan Wallace <rywall(at)interchange(dot)ubc(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Working with dates before 4713 BC
Date: 2008-05-06 00:22:29
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hi all,

I am building an application which requires the storage of dates relating to
the creation of archaeological items. The problem I am facing is that
although most of the dates are working fine, some of the items were created
before the beginning of recorded history (4713 BC).

Does anyone have any suggestions for making these dates play nicely with
items created more recently (January 10th, 1968 for example)? My only other
requirement is that I need to be able to execute SQL queries which can find
items made before a certain date, after a certain date, or between two
dates.

Cheers,

Ryan