Re: WAL FILES

From: "Ashish Karalkar" <ashish(dot)karalkar(at)info-spectrum(dot)com>
To: "Khan, Mahmood Ahram" <Mahmood(dot)Khan(at)in(dot)unisys(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: WAL FILES
Date: 2007-05-18 04:54:56
Lists: pgsql-admin

take care to inclue a parameter in the copy command that will make sure the archived WAL will not be overwritten

for your reference(on Linux)

"It is important that the archive command return zero exit status if and only if it succeeded. Upon getting a zero result, PostgreSQL will assume that the WAL segment file has been successfully archived, and will remove or recycle it. However, a nonzero status tells PostgreSQL that the file was not archived; it will try again periodically until it succeeds.
The archive command should generally be designed to refuse to overwrite any pre-existing archive file. This is an important safety feature to preserve the integrity of your archive in case of administrator error (such as sending the output of two different servers to the same archive directory). It is advisable to test your proposed archive command to ensure that it indeed does not overwrite an existing file, and that it returns nonzero status in this case. We have found that cp -i does this correctly on some platforms but not others. If the chosen command does not itself handle this case correctly, you should add a command to test for pre-existence of the archive file. "