Re: Lack of Performance

From: "Thomas Heller" <th(dot)heller(at)comtron(dot)net>
To: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Lack of Performance
Date: 2000-11-23 09:52:19
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi again!

> > -B 256
> > -i
> > -N 48
> > -o '-F -S 512'
> >
> I have a gig of ram and use:
>
> -B 32768
> -o "-F -S 65534"

Hmmm, during peak time these values have no influence to perfomance at all.
:( The values help to decrease the load during "not-so-busy" times, but
during peak times the load is still arround 12-20. This is absolutly
inacceptable for me.

What I dont understand about it, is that the DB is not THAT big. The tables
are arround 10.000-30.000 rows and there are only about 6 tables. They all
use indexes where needed and everything is vacuumed up to 8 times a day. But
the load is not affected by it. I can't seem to find "what" is pressing the
db.

Does query optimization help a lot or does it only affect the performance in
a little manner? Most queries look for rows with a specific primary id and
return parts/the whole row.

Any optimizations hints?

Thanks,
Thomas