running postgresql as a linux service

From: "Raul Secan" <raul(at)zerosoft(dot)ro>
To: <pgsql-php(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: running postgresql as a linux service
Date: 2004-03-18 15:22:07
Lists: pgsql-php

Hello, I have succesfuly installed PostgreSQL 7.4.1, on my OS which is Red Hat Linux 9.0.

I start the server with:
$ pg_ctl -D /usr/local/pgsql/data -l logfile start

And stop it with:
$ pg_ctl -D /usr/local/pgsql/data stop -m fast

There are two questions here, which I want to put to you guys:
1. How can make PostgreSQL run as a Linux service so database server starts at each reboot
2. How can I register the PGDATA environment variable, so I don't have to use -D /usr/local/pgsql/data parameter (and don't use -l logfile if it is posible) when run the start command

Thanks, Raul Secan.