pg_dump: what is advantage with schema and data dumps?

From: "Anony Mous" <A(dot)Mous(at)shaw(dot)ca>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: pg_dump: what is advantage with schema and data dumps?
Date: 2004-09-24 17:13:58
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

I've seen in previous posts that recommended practice for database backup is
to run the dump utility twice. Once for schema only and a second time for
data only (I think). Up to know, I've only ever dumped both, and have never
had a problem restoring into older/newer versions of postgres, nor with
restoring into other commercial versions of postgres. This is a testament
of the robustness of pg_dump! Of course, there are always a series of error
messages at the start of each restore when duplicate/unknown template DB
functions are recreated, but these have never prevented the core data from
being properly copied into the database.

Am I setting myself up for disaster with only a single dump as a backup?

Much thanks,
Peter