starting postmaster problems

From: Mike White <jmwhite(at)mail(dot)hot1(dot)net>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: starting postmaster problems
Date: 2000-10-13 13:18:32
Lists: pgsql-novice

I have the postgres script in /etc/rc.d/init.d and at boot time I see the
message that postgres is starting and get an OK. However, when I type psql
[databasename] I'm asked if the postmaster is running. I can only start the
postmaster as the postgres superuser. I'm using postgres 7.0 on Mandrake 7.0.
I don't think this is a postgres problem, but I'm not sure where to find an
answer. If someone knows how to get postmaster started when I boot the
computer, please help.

Thanks