Re: Connection problem

From: "Dan Wilson" <phpPgAdmin(at)acucore(dot)com>
To: Laukó Péter <plauko(at)freemail(dot)hu>, <pgsql-php(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Connection problem
Date: 2001-11-26 14:59:26
Lists: pgsql-php

What exactly are you trying to do here?

Depending on what you really want to do here, you need to change your
connection string to fit what you want.

In order to connect to postgres, you must specify a database. If you do not
want to connect to a database immediately, then you can use the default
database (which is usually "template1"). Otherwise, if you don't indicate a
database to which to connect, it will assume you are trying to connect to
the user's database, which by default is the same name as the user. I'm
assuming that your web server is running under the "www-data" user account.

If you explain more in detail what you want to accomplish, we will be able
to help better.

-Dan

: Hi,
: I try to connect to a PostgreSQL database from my php script, and get the
following error:
:
: Warning: Unable to connect to PostgreSQL server: FATAL 1: Database
"www-data" does not exist in the system
: catalog. in /home/lao/proj/hajnalcsillag/www/classes/DBConnection.php on
line 10
:
: The code is:
: <?
:
: class DBConnection
: {
: var $con_string;
:
: function DBConnection()
: {
: $con_string = "dbname=hajnalcsillag user=lao password=abc123
host=localhost port=5432";
: $ret = pg_connect( $this->con_string );
: }
: }
:
: ?>
:
: I could solve part of the problem by creating a user and database called
'www-data'.
: Since I have several sites on the same server, I need more independent
db-s, so this solution is not enough.
: This seems to be a configuration problem, but I don't know where to turn
off this (security?) option.
:
: The versions are:
: PHP Version 4.1.0RC1
: PostgreSQL 7.1.3
: Apache/1.3.22
: Debian sid
:
: Could anyone help me please?
: Thanks, Peter
:
: TIP 5: Have you checked our extensive FAQ?
:
: http://www.postgresql.org/users-lounge/docs/faq.html
: