how to use eclipse when debugging postgreSQL backend

From: 노홍찬 <fallsmal(at)cs(dot)yonsei(dot)ac(dot)kr>
To: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: how to use eclipse when debugging postgreSQL backend
Date: 2009-09-28 05:44:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello hackers,

I really appreciate Mr. Cecchet’s effort to establish the wiki page
(working_with_eclipse, http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2008-
10/msg00312.php).

I set up my PostgreSQL development environment with Eclipse, following the
page’s instructions.

However, I’m stuck to the situation that I cannot debug the modified
backend source of PostgreSQL

since the gdb incorporated with Eclipse doesn’t support the debugging of
the forked child processes.

When I start debugging process by using the project default, it can only
debug the postmaster process,

since the postmaster process forks child processes each of which is
actually postgres backend process responsible for the response to each
client process (psql).

What I’m trying to debug is the storage-related part of the backend
source, so the gdb should be able to access the forked processes.

I tried several ways like making the default option of gdb to be ‘set
follow-fork-mode child’, but those tries didn’t work.

For sure, there is another option, giving up using eclipse when debugging
and using the console-mode gdb,

but I prefer using graphical development environment and that’s the reason
why I chose to use eclipse as a default development tool in the very first
start.

(This try might be regarded as silly though, I might be supposed to get
familiar to console development environment,

but if someone went through the same situation before and he or she can
help me, it will be very time-saving)

If someone can let me know how to set Eclipse or several steps needed to
access the forked process while Elipse debugging,

It will be very much helpful to me.

Thank you for reading this

- Best Regards
Hongchan
( <mailto:fallsmal(at)cs(dot)yonsei(dot)ac(dot)kr> fallsmal(at)cs(dot)yonsei(dot)ac(dot)kr, (02)2123-
7757) -