Uninstalling PostgreSQL

From: "- Barry -" <mail(at)polisource(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Uninstalling PostgreSQL
Date: 2004-06-22 11:39:04
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

I want to uninstall PostgreSQL and all related packages. I don't even need Cygwin, so I've been trying to delete the cygwin directory, since there is no cygwin uninstaller.

The first problem was an "access is denied" message for cygcrypt-0.dll. Then I deleted the postgres user's account and did some stuff with permissions and various other things, and I was able to delete cygcrypt-0.dll, but then I had the same problem with cygcygipc-2.dll, and I don't want to figure out exactly what I did to delete cygcrypt-0.dll and apply it to each problem-file individually. I want an easy, directory-wide solution. But I have a feeling I'll need cygcrypt-0.dll back to fix the next problem.

I tried using chmod and chown on the cygwin directory at the Windows command prompt (the cygwin console no longer exists), but it seemed to fail. Maybe I used the wrong commands. I didn't get any error, but I still wasn't able to delete the cygwin directory, and the properties still said "read only." When I unchecked "read only" and clicked "apply" and "ok", I got an "Error applying attributes" pop-up about C:\cygwin\tmp\cygipc2_2. I heard that indicates encryption, but the "encrypt contents to secure data" box for that file is not checked. This is why I have a feeling I need cygcrypt-0.dll back.

I also tried deleting as many files as I could, in small groups, starting with the bin directory, from the top of the list down. The show stopper that time was "The file 'bzless' is a system file. If you remove it, you're computer or one of your programs may no longer work correctly. I think I got a similar warning for cygcrypt-0.dll, but I wasn't as brave this time and didn't try to remove it.

Any suggestions for removing my cygwin directory and all of its contents in a safe way, along with anything PostgreSQL might have done, would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Barry