initdb failing on win xp

From: "dave passudetti" <dave(at)budonk(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: initdb failing on win xp
Date: 2004-03-12 17:10:00
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

Greetings,
i apologize in advance as I'm aware that this error has been addressed in several past posts, but the fixes described have not worked for me.

I installed postgresql from cygwin and its necessary packages successfully.

I installed ipc-daemon2 as an NT service successfully

I created a new user and logged into Windows XP as that user

I allowed my new user to logon as a service

I created a data directory and change the permissions to make my new user the owner

I installed postmaster as an NT service

A problem came when I ran initdb -D /usr/share/postgresql/data

The following resulted:

The files belonging to this database system will be owned by user "postgres".

The database cluster will be initialized with locale C.

fixing permissions on existing directory /usr/share/postgresql/data... ok
creating directory /usr/share/postgresql/data/base... ok
creating directory /usr/share/postgresql/data/global... ok
creating directory /usr/share/postgresql/data/pg_xlog... ok
creating directory /usr/share/postgresql/data/pg_clog... ok
selecting default max_connections... 10
selecting default shared_buffers... 50
creating configuration files... ok
creating template1 database in /usr/share/postgresql/data/base/1... FATAL: coul
d not create shared memory segment: Function not implemented
DETAIL: Failed system call was shmget(key=1, size=1081344, 03600).

initdb: failed

I am having a problem finding any other solutions for this error. Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

-dave