Command names

From: "Keith L(dot) Musser" <kmusser(at)idisys(dot)com>
To: "PGSQL-General" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Command names
Date: 2000-09-28 13:39:35
Lists: pgsql-general

I know all of you are accustomed to the command line interface for pgsql. (Of course, some of you created it!) However, I'd be interested if anyone else feels the way I do....

I would prefer to have a consistent set of names for the commands. For example,
I propose the following:

Instead of this use this.
createdb pg_createdb
createuser pg_createuser
destroydb pg_destroydb
initdb pg_initdb
initlocation pg_initlocation
pgaccess pg_accessgui
pgadmin pg_admin
pg_dump pg_dump
pg_dumpall pg_dumpall
postgres pg_single
postmaster pg_master
psql pg_access
vacuumdb pg_vacuumdb
??? pg_help (list all these commands)

Not that it is terribly difficult the way it is. But I simply think that a consistent set of names would help new users, and help to prevent conflicts with other commands in the PATH. Any comments?

- Keith

Keith L. Musser
Integrated Dynamics, Inc.
812-371-7777