Error in indexing?

From: "Pavel PaJaSoft Janousek" <janousek(at)fonet(dot)cz>
To: "PgSQL Interfaces" <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Error in indexing?
Date: 1999-04-21 17:37:33
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Hi all,

by the work on one project, I see this situation:
I have table, it has primary key.. psql automaticly create unique key for
this column. - OK
Now, I insert one row into this table... - OK
Now, I delete this row from the table... - OK
And now, I can insert row to this table with the same values as
previous... - BAD:-(

I got message from sqlca, that I cannot insert a duplicate key into a
unique index...

I thought, that inserting and deleting rows from database is transparent
and automaticly created indexes are corectly updates by values in the table.
Is very badly, that I must think that table XX has a unique index and after
deleting some rows I must update a index...

And now, when I have this situation, I try use vacuum, but I can't
insert the same row again...

I think one posible way... - delete neccessery rows, drop index and
create new index... - but this is ...'-)

Can somebody help me with this, I use ECPG distributed with PostgreSQl
6.4.2 - is this bad situation error for this release and will be fixed in
version 6.5? I permanently monitoring situation by version 6.5, I think,
that is currectly beta2, but I know, that it has still some problems and
errors, so I can't use it for now...

Thanks...

Pavel Janousek (PaJaSoft) FoNet, spol. s r. o.
Vyvoj software, sprava siti, Unix, Web, Y2K Anenska 11, 602 00 Brno
E-mail: mailto:Janousek(at)FoNet(dot)Cz Tel.: +420 5 4324 4749
SMS: mailto:P(dot)Janousek(at)SMS(dot)Paegas(dot)Cz Fax.: +420 5 4324 4751
WWW: http://WWW.FoNet.Cz/ E-mail: mailto:Info(at)FoNet(dot)Cz