Re: [HACKERS] Re: [SQL] prob with aggregate and group by - returns multiplesh

From: Christopher Sawtell <csawtell(at)xtra(dot)co(dot)nz>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Don Baccus <dhogaza(at)pacifier(dot)com>
Cc: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, "'pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-sql(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Re: [SQL] prob with aggregate and group by - returns multiplesh
Date: 2000-03-01 03:26:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-sql

On Wed, 01 Mar 2000, Tom Lane wrote:
> Don Baccus <dhogaza(at)pacifier(dot)com> writes:
> > I vote for the SQL92 TEMPORARY. Let's not add a keyword that is non-standard
> > just because one or another commercial database makes use of it,
>
> You're missing the point: we are not talking about *adding* a keyword,
> we're talking about *removing* one that we've already supported for
> a year or so. That changes matters considerably, IMHO.
>
> I have in fact been able to make a conflict-free grammar in which TEMP
> is accepted but not reserved. It requires a certain amount of
> redundancy in the productions (see below), but I think this is a
> worthwhile tradeoff for not breaking existing user code.
>
> Shall I commit this?

Is there not also the possibility of making this a configure-time option?

./configure --temporary-table=TEMPORARY # or TEMP as you wish

Default to TEMPORARY in accord with SQL 92.

--
Sincerely etc.,

NAME Christopher Sawtell - Support Engineer - iOpen Technologies Ltd.
CELL PHONE 021 257 4451
ICQ UIN 45863470
EMAIL chris @ iopen . co . nz, csawtell @ xtra . co . nz
CNOTES ftp://ftp.funet.fi/pub/languages/C/tutorials/sawtell_C.tar.gz

---->>> Please refrain from using HTML attachments in e-mails to me. <<<----