Re: BUG #5816: index not used in function

From: "frank" <frank(at)ros-i(dot)com>
To: "'Robert Haas'" <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "'Korry Douglas'" <korry(dot)douglas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, "'Kevin Grittner'" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>, <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #5816: index not used in function
Date: 2011-01-14 00:14:21
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Robert,

Thanks for the reply.

It should always be understood that things could be much more complex
than meets the eye. I am not warranted to demand or expect anything.

The work-around does not work for me, but that is a different issue. I
have no right to lecture anybody, only that sometimes one tends to
forget some basics. Me no exception.

My concern was the impression I got on the finding of an excuse, which I
do not believe was deliberate. Again, I was not searching for "best
possible". The problem is some fundamental issue. I have not seen the
code or the design, I do not know for sure. But if planner was called at
run time for all (or almost all) query statements inside the function,
then it is a big design/implementation issue.

Once again, I appreciate the messages from all three of you who try to
help people, and I understand the difficulty people face.

Regards,
Frank