Re: BUG #2386: pg_restore doesn't restore large objects

From: "Patrick Headley" <linxconsulting(at)comcast(dot)net>
To: "'Andreas Pflug'" <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>, "'Dave Page'" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: "'Bruce Momjian'" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, "'Tom Lane'" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #2386: pg_restore doesn't restore large objects
Date: 2006-04-17 02:37:32
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Andreas,

I had another opportunity to do a restore for a client today. Both restore
attempts that I'll be describing were to a remote Mac OS X machine with
PostgreSQL 8.0.7 installed.

Knowing that it wasn't going to work using PGAdmin III, I went directly to a
command window on the machine with PGAdmin III v1.4.2 installed. The version
of pg_restore on that machine is 8.1.3.6044. That machine is running Windows
XP SP2. The following command, which didn't work was taken directly from the
command window. I've removed the IP address and password for security
reasons.

C:\Program Files\pgAdmin III\1.4>pg_restore -i -h xx.xx.xx.xx -p 5432 -U
password
-d mtviewDEV -v C:\mtviewDEV.backup

The restore errored out with the following lines:

pg_restore: restoring large object data
pg_restore: [archiver] could not create large object 28305
pg_restore: *** aborted because of error

I then switched over to a Windows Server 2003 machine with PostgreSQL 8.0.4
installed and used pg_restore from the PostgreSQL bin folder. The version
for pg_restore on that machine is v8.0.4.5277. On the Windows 2003 machine
the restore worked. Only thing is that I lost a lot of the output from
pg_restore that appeared in the command window because the lines scrolled
out of the display buffer. However, at the point where the error occurred on
the Windows XP machine the Windows 2003 machine prompted me for the password
a second time. It then reported that it was restoring the large objects and
then proceeded to restore other items in the database.

Hope that provides some insights into the cause of the problem.

Patrick Headley
Linx Consulting, Inc.
(303) 916-5522
LinxConsulting(at)comcast(dot)net