Starting Postgres using pg_ctl and options

From: "Jason Cox" <jacox(at)learnframe(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Starting Postgres using pg_ctl and options
Date: 2001-07-03 16:17:49
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hello all,

I'm running pg 7.1.2 on RH 6.2. I'm using the start script included in the
distro contrib dir to stop/start postgres. It uses pg_ctl as follows:

<snip>
PGDATA="/usr/local/pgsql/data"
PGUSER=postgres
DAEMON="$prefix/bin/pg_ctl"
su - $PGUSER -c "$DAEMON start -D /usr/local/pgsql/data -s -l $PGLOG"
</snip>

I realize that pg_ctl takes a '-o' switch to specify options to be passed to
postmaster. So I tried the following:

su - $PGUSER -c "$DAEMON start -D /usr/local/pgsql/data -s -l $PGLOG -o

When I tried that, it didn't give any errors but it didn't start postmaster.
Without the '-o' stuff, it works just fine. Does anyone know what I'm doing
wrong?

Thanks,

Jason Cox