Initdb questions Windows NT port

From: "Joost Kraaijeveld" <JKraaijeveld(at)askesis(dot)nl>
To: "Pgsql-Hackers" <hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Initdb questions Windows NT port
Date: 1998-10-01 12:36:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi postgres gurus,

I have problems with running initdb. As I mentioned in a precious message I
cannot run postgres on a Linux machine at this moment so I have to ask
instead of trying myself. And in making the situation worse, for some reason
I cannot debug the program if input is redirected to a file (see question 3)
but I have to use printf statements instead.

I have three main questions.

Running "initdb --username=Administrator -d" seems to do:
1. checking the environment setting (goes OK)
2. checking/setting file templates (goes OK)
3. checking user settings (goes OK)
4. creating directories if needed (goes OK)
5. creating template1 database (question 1)
6. creating global classes in two steps (question 2 and 3)
7. do some database filling (goes ????)

Question 1.

Postgres is run after creating the template1 directory saying:
"Creating template database in /usr/local/pgsql/data/base/template1"
"Running: postgres -boot -C -F -D/usr/local/pgsql/data -d template1"

What should be the effect of running postgres at this point? At my machine
it does nothing, other than run (that is , no files are created/changed
etc).

N.B.
/usr/local/pgsql/data/base/template1/PG_VERSION is created, not by running
postgres but by running pg_version after that

Question 2.

Postgres is run again after saying:
"Creating global classes in /usr/local/pgsql/data/base"
"Running: postgres -boot -C -F -D/usr/local/pgsql/data -d template1"

What should be the effect of running postgres at this point? At my machine
it does nothing, other than run (that is , no files are created/changed
etc).

N.B.
/usr/local/pgsql/data/PG_VERSION is created, not by running postgres but by
running pg_version after that
/usr/local/pgsql/data/pg_geqo.sample, created by a simple copy
/usr/local/pgsql/data/pg_hba.conf, created by a simple copy

Question 3.

Postgres is run again after saying:
"Adding template1 database to pg_database..."
"Running: postgres -boot -C -F -D/usr/local/pgsql/data -d template1 <
/tmp/create.8796" (number varies)

The program crashes while running. Two empty files are created: pg_class and
pg_type. The program crashes because for some unknown reason no valid
HeapTuple is created for pg_database. Is there anyone with a briljant idea?
What could be the reason? Is it related with the fact that prevoius runs of
postgres did't do anything?

TIA

Joost Kraaijeveld

Askesis B.V.