Difficulties to do a migration from Oracle8i to PostgreSQL 7.3.3

From: "Bruno BAGUETTE" <pgsql-ml(at)baguette(dot)net>
To: "'PostgreSQL-general'" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Difficulties to do a migration from Oracle8i to PostgreSQL 7.3.3
Date: 2003-06-29 09:40:41
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello,

I've a friend of mine that would like to move an Oracle8i Database
(running on a Tru64 Unix server) to PostgreSQL (because the organization
where he works have to cut down their costs). So, he tried to do a dump
from the Oracle database, makes a few search/replaces in the dump files
and finally, he tried to add this database inside PostgreSQL 7.3.3.

The database structure, the datas and the sequences where OK without any
problems. He had to do a little work to add all the constraints but he's
stucked on inserting PL/SQL packages... (Because there isn't the
possibility to do PL/PgSQL packages currently).

He explains me that they have several frontend that uses that DB via the
PL/SQL packages (dos, Gtk, Windows VisualC++, WAP (mobile phones), and
Jini Java applications and he don't have the time and the knowledge to
modify all theses applications in a very short time. (He is only DBA,
not developper).

Thus, he would like to make the PostgreSQL server to appears like an
Oracle Server but I don't see anything about this in PostgreSQL
documentation. As far as I know, PostgreSQL don't use the same
architecture that Oracle (there isn't any Listener).

So the trial to move from Oracle8i to PostgreSQL 7.3.3 will be probably
delayed until the possibility to do that (PL/PGSQL packages), he will
try to ask the developpers to add ODBC in their apps.

Do you have an idea to do theses things ? Since I've never do that kind
of migration, I don't have more ideas to help him...

Is there some people that have do that kind of migration ? Is there a
FAQ about migrating from Oracle to PostgreSQL ?

Thanks really much in advance for him ! :-)

Bruno BAGUETTE - pgsql-ml(at)baguette(dot)net