Problem

From: "Prasanna" <prasannaphatak(at)vsnl(dot)net>
To: <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Problem
Date: 2002-09-11 07:37:36
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-bugs

Hello,

I’m a standalone user of Linux 7.3. I’m facing problem to start sql
command
Interpreter i.e. psql. See I’ve first of all created a database using
initdb dbms
Command it gets created. And it also creates directory dbms which
contains
Many files and directories. That directory is /home/Prasanna/dbms.
Now I want to start the server so I can start it by giving command
/usr/bin/postmaster –D dbms
so it gets started. Now if I gave command like psql –D dbms
Then it gives error like

Fatal 1: database name ‘dbms’ is not present in the system catalog.

Now what should I do? This fatal error appears on the postmaster server.
I’ve tried two nights for this psql but not getting success. May be I’m
wrong.
Will you please tell me how to start the psql with my database created
by
Initdb. It will be very helpful to me.

Thank You,
Regards
Prasanna Prabhakar Phatak
20/21, "Prabhalaxmi", Patwardhan Baug, Erandwane Pune 4
Ph. +91 020 5466022
email. prasannaphatak(at)indiatimes(dot)com, ppp_pras(at)yahoo(dot)com