Re: [GENERAL] Idea for the statistics collector

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Idea for the statistics collector
Date: 2002-06-21 02:50:04
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
> Since it's currently all for collecting statistics on tables, why can't it
> collect another type of statistic, like:
>
> - How often the estimator gets it wrong?
>
> At the end of an index scan, the executor could compare the number of rows
> returned against what was estimated, and if it falls outside a certain
> range, flag it.
>
> Also, the average ratio of rows coming out of a distinct node vs the number
> going in.
>
> For a join clause, the amount of correlation between two columns (hard).
>
> etc
>
> Ideally, the planner could then use this info to make better plans.
> Eventually, the whole system could become somewhat self-tuning.
>
> Does anyone see any problems with this?

[ Discussion moved to hackers.]

I have thought that some type of feedback from the executor back into
the optimizer would be a good feature. Not sure how to do it, but your
idea makes sense. It certainly could update the table statistics after
a sequential scan.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us