Re: [GENERAL] Idea for the statistics collector

From: "Christopher Kings-Lynne" <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>
To: "Bruce Momjian" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Martijn van Oosterhout" <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
Cc: "PostgreSQL-development" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Idea for the statistics collector
Date: 2002-06-22 07:48:23
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

I was thinking of writing a command line tool like 'pgtune' that looks at
the stats views and will generate SQL code for, or do automatically the
following:

* Dropping indices that are never used
* Creating appropriate indices to avoid large, expensive sequential scans.

This would put us in the 'mysql makes my indices for me by magic' league -
but would be far more powerful and flexible. How to do multikey indices is
beyond me tho.

*sigh* I'm recovering from a septoplasty on my nose atm, so I might have
some time to do some coding!

Chris