Re: Why Not MySQL?

From: "Mitch Vincent" <mitch(at)huntsvilleal(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Don Baccus" <dhogaza(at)pacifier(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Why Not MySQL?
Date: 2000-05-03 14:18:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi Don, thanks for your reply...

> First, have you been having the same problems with PG 7.0? I recall that
> you had it up on a test system but nothing more.

No, I was afraid to run 7.0 beta on the production server. I do have it on
my development server however and haven't had any problems with it (of
course the devel server is only used by me, the production server is used by
about 600 people)...

> It's a pity that you've reached this point, because PG is so much better
> than it was 18 months ago (and before, of course, I mention that timeframe
> because that's roughly when I first investigated its suitability for
> the web toolkit project) and the trajectory is definitely in the right
> direction.

Well, we've started to look into it. My boss is worried about the stability
and speed of Postgres in the long run, personally I love PG, I would like to
stay with it until at least 7.1, if the problems still continue then maybe
look elsewhere.

> It's also a loss to the development effort, as people with bugs in many
> ways are more useful than people who have no problems (though of course
> having no bugs for users to stumble across is the best situation!)
> Still, I understand the need to solve your problems today, not tomorrow.

> Interbase is a possible solution. They have a pretty good reputation,
> and their "super server" (threaded with connections sharing a buffer
> cache) should scale well. My rough estimate is that they're at about
> the place PG will be when 7.1 comes out. I don't know if they support
> FreeBSD, though. Any reason you can't just put up a box with Linux?

Ooooo. Mitch hates Linux. It's a long, boring story but lets just say that
Linux and I use to be friends, now we're mortal enemies. :-)

-Mitch Vincent