Re: Why Not MySQL?

From: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
To: Mitch Vincent <mitch(at)huntsvilleal(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Don Baccus <dhogaza(at)pacifier(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Why Not MySQL?
Date: 2000-05-03 14:44:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 3 May 2000, Mitch Vincent wrote:

> Hi Don, thanks for your reply...
>
> > First, have you been having the same problems with PG 7.0? I recall that
> > you had it up on a test system but nothing more.
>
> No, I was afraid to run 7.0 beta on the production server. I do have it on
> my development server however and haven't had any problems with it (of
> course the devel server is only used by me, the production server is used by
> about 600 people)...

Okay, its no longer beta :) run it, run it :)

My experience so far is that it was basically a 'plug-n-play' sort of
thing ... dump your database, upgrade and reload ... the only problem I
had was one script that I did something like:

SELECT field as field

without realizing it, and v7.0 won't allow that (field == field) ... other
then that, *much* more stable, and appears faster then the old ...

> Ooooo. Mitch hates Linux. It's a long, boring story but lets just say that
> Linux and I use to be friends, now we're mortal enemies. :-)

I like you :)