Re: Why Not MySQL?

From: Don Baccus <dhogaza(at)pacifier(dot)com>
To: "Mitch Vincent" <mitch(at)huntsvilleal(dot)com>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Why Not MySQL?
Date: 2000-05-03 16:25:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

At 10:18 AM 5/3/00 -0400, Mitch Vincent wrote:

>No, I was afraid to run 7.0 beta on the production server. I do have it on
>my development server however and haven't had any problems with it (of
>course the devel server is only used by me, the production server is used by
>about 600 people)...

It's being run at http://community.aolserver.com and http://openacs.org,
and it seems to be solid.

>> Interbase is a possible solution. They have a pretty good reputation,
>> and their "super server" (threaded with connections sharing a buffer
>> cache) should scale well. My rough estimate is that they're at about
>> the place PG will be when 7.1 comes out. I don't know if they support
>> FreeBSD, though. Any reason you can't just put up a box with Linux?

>Ooooo. Mitch hates Linux. It's a long, boring story but lets just say that
>Linux and I use to be friends, now we're mortal enemies. :-)

I love it when personal religon gets in the way of technical decision
making! FreeBSD's great, so is Linux. I personally use Linux, but if
a key component of a business of mine would be better served by software
only available on FreeBSD, I'd have a server up in a matter of hours.

Oh, well...to each their own.

http://donb.photo.net.