Re: Corruption (Was: Re: Why Not MySQL?)

From: "Mitch Vincent" <mitch(at)huntsvilleal(dot)com>
To: "The Hermit Hacker" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Corruption (Was: Re: Why Not MySQL?)
Date: 2000-05-03 14:27:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> As Don asks, what happened with the v7.0 trials you were doing? Corrupted
> indices, I've seen occasionally in older versions, but I can't recall ever
> seeing corrupt system tables ...

I couldn't run the 7.0 beta on our production server. It was forbidden from
"higher up"..

> I don't have a GUI browser right, so searching the archives is kinda tough
> for me :( Can you refresh my memory for me? There has to be something
> logical to this, as to what the cause for the corruption is :(

Ok, the latest thing was "cannot find attribute 15 of relation pg_am" -- I
got that when I tried to do an query.

> >From Don's comment, I take it you are using FreeBSD? Version?
Stability
> of the machine? Never crashes?

FreeBSD 4.0-R

The machine is brand new (we built it because we thought it was a hardware
problem before)..

Ultra 160 SCSI Drives, 512 megs of ECC RAM, PIII 500 processor (soon to be
upgraded).

> Version of PostgreSQL? Compile/configure options? Do you have any core
> files in your data/base/* hierarchy that would be the result of a backend
> crashing?

PG 6.5.3, no core files (this latest time at least, in the past there have
been).

As far as configure options, nothing, just the default configuration...

> I know you are looking at alternatives, but I'm terrible at letting go of
> problems :(

Me too, that's why I've stayed with PG for 6 monthes with these problems..

I wish I had more to tell you now, however I had to restore the data from a
backup.

Thanks!!

-Mitch