Re: List response time...

From: Ian Lance Taylor <ian(at)airs(dot)com>
To: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
Cc: "Serguei Mokhov" <sa_mokho(at)alcor(dot)concordia(dot)ca>, "PostgreSQL Hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: List response time...
Date: 2001-08-21 20:24:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org> writes:

> Mailing lists don't scale well to large numbers of subscribers. I see this
> delay constantly,on multiple lists. The bigger the list gets, the slower the
> list gets (and the more loaded the server gets, right Marc? :-)).

Note that the postgresql.org mail server is still running sendmail.
In my personal experience with sources.redhat.com, qmail is a much
better choice to handle large mailing lists. When we switched from
sendmail to qmail, mailing list delays dropped from hours, or
sometimes even days, to seconds.

Ian