Re: [HACKERS] Case statement ready?

From: jwieck(at)debis(dot)com (Jan Wieck)
To: lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu (Thomas G(dot) Lockhart)
Cc: hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org, maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us, jwieck(at)debis(dot)com, vadim(at)krs(dot)ru
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Case statement ready?
Date: 1998-12-04 19:45:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > > I seem to have a CASE statement implemented...
>
> OK, it looked to me that I'm not touching any files Vadim is working on,
> so I've gone ahead and committed changes for the CASE construct to the
> CURRENT (main) tree.
>
> The changes don't actually affect the system catalogs, but I would
> assume that we would not want this to be a feature added to the RELEASE
> tree. Speak up if you think it should be added there too.

It's feature and thus must NOT be committed to the RELEASE
tree. But if you send me the patches, I could add it to the
v6.4.1 feature patch which I'll put into the patches
directory on the ftp server after v6.4.1 is out.

> If anyone has a chance to look at the new code wrt the rewriter and
> optimizer costing that would be great. For the costing I would assume
> that the cost should be related to the sum of the costs of the
> individual clauses within the CASE statement (or maybe half of the sum).

Did it add new node types? If not, the rewrite system might
already be happy with it. Anyway - I'll take a look at it and
check/extend/fix for the rewrite corner.

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #