Re: call for creating test suite

From: Marc Herbert <Marc(dot)Herbert(at)continuent(dot)com>
To: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: call for creating test suite
Date: 2006-01-13 15:33:38
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Ludek Finstrle <luf(at)pzkagis(dot)cz> writes:

>> We (continuent) surely could invest some time developing such a suite
>> provided we can easily run it against our software.
>
> Maybe I understand this bad. Are you volunteer?

Yes, we will contribute to any test suite that fits our needs enough
for us to use it regularly (I guess that's how things usually
go!). One of our requirements is that it should NOT be too strongly
tied to a specific DBMS (postgreSQL or other).

>> There already is something that looks a lot like an ODBC test suite in
>> the 'tests' directory of unixODBC. Anyone had a look at it/heard about
>> it?
>
> No, I don't know it. Could you explain it to us? Everyone who feel that
> we may use another ODBC test suite is welcome with his opinion and
> his knowledge.

I haven't look at it yet, only planned to. Unless it's terribly
written/not flexible, it should be faster to start from this than to
reinvent the wheel.

> If someone would write it afresh the test suite could be written whatever
> language you want. I think about PERL as it could be the fastest and
> easiest way for me.

You gonna like it: I heard that unixodbc/tests use perl intensively.

> I don't need the test suite know the constants. I get the values
> so it could only know integral numbers, real numbers (maybe not
> I don't know whole ODBC spec), string and maybe some other basic
> types.

Which constants are you talking about?

Cheers,

Marc.