Re: call for creating test suite

From: Ludek Finstrle <luf(at)pzkagis(dot)cz>
To: Marc Herbert <Marc(dot)Herbert(at)continuent(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: call for creating test suite
Date: 2006-01-13 22:48:17
Lists: pgsql-odbc

> Yes, we will contribute to any test suite that fits our needs enough
> for us to use it regularly (I guess that's how things usually
> go!). One of our requirements is that it should NOT be too strongly
> tied to a specific DBMS (postgreSQL or other).

Well, nice to hear it. Thank you. I don't need tied test suite to DBMS.
Only text files (or what we discuss here) have to be in some kind
specific. The next question is the license of the test suite.

> >> There already is something that looks a lot like an ODBC test suite in
> >> the 'tests' directory of unixODBC. Anyone had a look at it/heard about
> >> it?
> >
> > No, I don't know it. Could you explain it to us? Everyone who feel that
>
> I haven't look at it yet, only planned to. Unless it's terribly
> written/not flexible, it should be faster to start from this than to
> reinvent the wheel.

It sounds well.

> > If someone would write it afresh the test suite could be written whatever
> > language you want. I think about PERL as it could be the fastest and
> > easiest way for me.
>
> You gonna like it: I heard that unixodbc/tests use perl intensively.

It was only idea that string parsing and hashes in PERL are easy to
write.

> > I don't need the test suite know the constants. I get the values
> > so it could only know integral numbers, real numbers (maybe not
> > I don't know whole ODBC spec), string and maybe some other basic
> > types.
>
> Which constants are you talking about?

I mean that there is no entry in text files like this:
SQLEndTran(SQL_HANDLE_DBC,<handle>,SQL_COMMIT)
it would be
SQLEndTran(2,<handle>,0)

SQL_HANDLE_DBC is ODBC constant with its value = 2.

Egh I forgot that we have to get new handle and replace the old handle
with new one. Or similar support od ODBC handles.
I mean the test suite have to can get results and output params from
SQLXXX calls which need it (e.g. SQLAllocHandle).

So next request for test suite is support in text files something like:
SQLAllocHandle (1,0,@) (-,-,<handle>)
You don't have to follow this syntax exactly. It only mean that SQLXXX
calls could have to parameter sets. There are input parameters in first ()
and there are are output parameters in second (). @ means only output param,
- means only input param. We have to remember to handle the ODBC handle
specially. There can be more specialities. It need go throught ODBC spec
and define it fully.

I only specify what I know. The inspiration from unixODBC test suite
could be very good.

Regards,

Lud