Re: Fwd: PostgreSQL 8.4 development plan

From: "Christopher Browne" <cbbrowne(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Andy Colson" <andy(at)squeakycode(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Fwd: PostgreSQL 8.4 development plan
Date: 2008-02-11 21:37:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Feb 11, 2008 9:14 PM, Andy Colson <andy(at)squeakycode(dot)net> wrote:
> I dont think the buildfarm needs to require CVS. The code can be
> changed in the buildfarm to just run 'svn up' or 'git up and go' (sorry,
> never used git so I had to guess at the command :-) ) right?

The relevant commands, for several of the tools, are:
"svn update"
"git pull"
"darcs pull --all"
"hg pull"
"mtn pull"

Distributed SCMs seem to favor "pull" over "update"

The only thing about this that would be a bit tricky is that buildfarm
presently treats a certain format of output as indicating that no
changes were found. The "expected output" for other SCMs will differ
somewhat. And this isn't so vastly tricky a matter as to be
considered an obstacle.

Indeed, I think that it would be an entirely reasonable thing to
expect to modify buildfarm a little bit so that it could cope with
multiple SCMs, and for us to have a few "animals" set up specifically
to track some SCMs.

This clearly ISN'T a barrier of the sort that Jan suggested.
"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and
expecting different results." -- assortedly attributed to Albert
Einstein, Benjamin Franklin, Rita Mae Brown, and Rudyard Kipling