Re: Guide to PostgreSQL source tree

From: Neil Padgett <npadgett(at)redhat(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Serguei Mokhov <sa_mokho(at)alcor(dot)concordia(dot)ca>, Gavin Sherry <swm(at)linuxworld(dot)com(dot)au>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Guide to PostgreSQL source tree
Date: 2001-08-19 17:10:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, 19 Aug 2001, Tom Lane wrote:
> One thing that I find absolutely essential for dealing with any large
> project is a full-text indexer (I use Glimpse, but I think there are
> others out there). Being able to quickly look at every use of a
> particular identifier goes a long way towards answering questions.

Agreed -- you can't find your way around PostgreSQL without such a
program. Personally, I use Source Navigator which you can grab at
http://sources.redhat.com/sourcenav/ . The really useful thing about
source navigator is that it parses the source into functions, variables,
etc. rather than just indexing it all as text. This means when you are
looking at a source file with it, you can do neat things like click on a
function call and then see things like the declaration and a x-ref
tree. Very handy.

Neil

--
Neil Padgett
Red Hat Canada Ltd. E-Mail: npadgett(at)redhat(dot)com