Re: Guide to PostgreSQL source tree

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Neil Padgett <npadgett(at)redhat(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Serguei Mokhov <sa_mokho(at)alcor(dot)concordia(dot)ca>, Gavin Sherry <swm(at)linuxworld(dot)com(dot)au>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Guide to PostgreSQL source tree
Date: 2001-08-20 15:27:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Sun, 19 Aug 2001, Tom Lane wrote:
> > One thing that I find absolutely essential for dealing with any large
> > project is a full-text indexer (I use Glimpse, but I think there are
> > others out there). Being able to quickly look at every use of a
> > particular identifier goes a long way towards answering questions.
>
> Agreed -- you can't find your way around PostgreSQL without such a
> program. Personally, I use Source Navigator which you can grab at
> http://sources.redhat.com/sourcenav/ . The really useful thing about

This is the cygnus programmer's editor, right? It is a nice piece of
software.

> source navigator is that it parses the source into functions, variables,
> etc. rather than just indexing it all as text. This means when you are
> looking at a source file with it, you can do neat things like click on a
> function call and then see things like the declaration and a x-ref
> tree. Very handy.

I have found I need tags support too. You can do project-wide
function/identifier searching either in your editor, if it supports
that, or using an external program like glimpse or idutils. Syntax
colorization helps too.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us