Locale by default?

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Locale by default?
Date: 2001-08-19 17:15:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

It occurred to me that a server with locale features that is started in
the C locale is going to behave the same as a server without locale
features. The exception are a few extra memory moving operations. (I
sincerely hope that all systems' libcs have optimized paths for the C
locale.) So we could get rid of this --enable-locale switch altogether.
Given our international user base, this would be an appropriate step and
move the locale support out of the "cumbersome secondary feature"
compartment. What do you think?

--
Peter Eisentraut peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net http://funkturm.homeip.net/~peter