Re: main.log file not being updated

From: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Anson Abraham <anson(dot)abraham(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: main.log file not being updated
Date: 2013-01-24 18:44:44
Lists: pgsql-general

On 01/24/2013 10:36 AM, Anson Abraham wrote:
> #log_destination = 'stderr'
> #logging_collector = off
>
> It was when it was restarted that this didn't start logging. To restart
> is an option, but one I'd like to avoid.
>
> It's 9.0 on debian squeeze.
> init.d/postgres start
>
> It was writing before. Just stopped after the last restart or rather
> reload of the config file. Also when I did an LSOF of the file, nothing
> was locking it ... ie usually postgres would be the one, but not in this
> case.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/interactive/runtime-config-logging.html

logging_collector (boolean)
This parameter captures plain and CSV-format log messages sent to stderr
and redirects them into log files. This approach is often more useful
than logging to syslog, since some types of messages might not appear in
syslog output (a common example is dynamic-linker failure messages).
This parameter can only be set at server start.

Would seem something changed the config file to turn off the collector.
You will need to set on and restart.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian(dot)klaver(at)gmail(dot)com