Re: systems 2007 ...

From: Gabriele Bartolini <gabriele(dot)bartolini(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Hans-Juergen Schoenig <hs(at)cybertec(dot)at>
Cc: pgeu-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: systems 2007 ...
Date: 2007-10-29 13:41:33
Lists: pgeu-general

Ciao Hans,

thanks for sharing your experience with us.

We had a booth at the "Festa della Creatività" in Florence last
weekend. Although participants were quite ethereogeneous (it was not
only an IT exhibition), we had a few people asking for directions or
just out of curiosity.

Hans-Juergen Schoenig ha scritto:
> - "what is the difference between MySQL and PostgreSQL?"
> - "we use PostgreSQL; we are so happy; keep doing "
> - "we use Oracle, is PostgreSQL as powerful as Oracle?"
I agree. We also had people (of course beginners) asking: "Is the
language (SQL) hard to learn?". Which means that some people have heard
the "SQL" word and the fact that it is contained in the name could be an
interesting factor for PostgreSQL to propose itself as the perfect tool
for educational purposes in the RDBMS world. I like to think of tomorrow
as well. :P

Another important aspect I noticed is "being around". One of the IT-PUG
objectives will be to go to every major event in Italy about software
and IT.

We had very nice (and improvised I must admit) sweaters with the
PostgreSQL logo in the back, and the Italian PUG logo on our "heart",
but they definitely sent the message. People and important IT companies
saw that PostgreSQL was present at the conference. This is something
that in the long run IMHO is very important, because it is a sign of
presence and availability of support by the Community.

Thanks,
Gabriele

--
Gabriele Bartolini: Open source programmer and data architect
Current Location: Prato, Tuscany, Italy