Re: BugTracker (Was: Re: 8.2 features status)

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>, "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com>, Kenneth Marshall <ktm(at)is(dot)rice(dot)edu>, "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Mark Kirkwood <markir(at)paradise(dot)net(dot)nz>, Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Subject: Re: BugTracker (Was: Re: 8.2 features status)
Date: 2006-08-18 13:25:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

>> Have you tried to use debbugs? I agree with Greg Stark that it's a
>> better fit for our current procedure, while enabling better
>> traceability.
>>

> The principal strike against debbugs seems to be that the source code is
> not readily available and/or isn't updated regularly. If we could get
> current sources we'd probably end up maintaining our own fork ... OTOH,
> given all the enthusiasm being expressed in this thread, somebody would
> volunteer to do that no?
>
> Other than that not-small problem, I agree that debbugs seems like an
> excellent fit to our existing habits.

Well, the enthusiasm was for use, not for maintaining a fork :-)

I had a brief look at the code (literally less than 5 minutes). The good
news is that it is admirably small. A fork isn't a bad idea, though,
especially as a pgfoundry project. I can think of several excellent
candidates for such a project (no names, no pack drill) ;-)

I should mention that it's a perl app.

cheers

andrew