Re: About GPL and proprietary software

From: "Marten G Mickos" <marten(at)mysql(dot)com>
To: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>, "scott(dot)marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com>
Cc: Kaarel <kaarel(at)future(dot)ee>, Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>, <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Marten G Mickos <marten(at)mysql(dot)com>, Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
Subject: Re: About GPL and proprietary software
Date: 2003-09-23 17:33:15
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-general

Scott et co.,

Thanks for your comment. Here is my response.

First of all, let's remember that neither I nor MySQL AB (nor any of
us) is an official authority for interpreting the GPL. Legally,
affirmative answers can only be given by a competent court. The FSF
is a natural authority on the GPL and whenever we are in doubt, we
turn to them for advice. But not being the authority on the topic
does not reduce our eagerness to discuss this topic!

Robert Treat already pointed out two main points:
- the GPL kicks in when you DISTRIBUTE
- the only ones truly suffering from MySQL's licensing policy are the
ones who try to exploit open source for their own benefit without
giving anything back to the community

When it comes to the issue of linking or not, and the type of
linking, please have a look at the GPL FAQ on the GNU.org site. Here
is an important passage from it, showing that it is not only the
technicalities of the linking, but also the semantics of it. In other
words, the intent is as important as the method (just like in many
other issues defined by law - your intent in doing something may
determine whether it was a crime or not).

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html

- - -
What constitutes combining two parts into one program? This is a
legal question, which ultimately judges will decide. We believe that
a proper criterion depends both on the mechanism of communication
(exec, pipes, rpc, function calls within a shared address space,
etc.) and the semantics of the communication (what kinds of
information are interchanged).
- - -

Kind regards,

Marten