Re: About GPL and proprietary software

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: marten(at)mysql(dot)com
Cc: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>, "scott(dot)marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com>, Kaarel <kaarel(at)future(dot)ee>, Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
Subject: Re: About GPL and proprietary software
Date: 2003-09-24 20:22:51
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-general

Marten G Mickos wrote:
> Scott et co.,
>
> Thanks for your comment. Here is my response.
>
> First of all, let's remember that neither I nor MySQL AB (nor any of
> us) is an official authority for interpreting the GPL. Legally,
> affirmative answers can only be given by a competent court. The FSF
> is a natural authority on the GPL and whenever we are in doubt, we
> turn to them for advice. But not being the authority on the topic
> does not reduce our eagerness to discuss this topic!
>
> Robert Treat already pointed out two main points:
> - the GPL kicks in when you DISTRIBUTE

What does "internally" distribute mean?

As long as you never distribute (internally or externally) the
MySQL Software in any way, you are free to use it

from:

http://www.mysql.com/products/licensing.html

I don't see "internally" mentioned in the GPL. Again, I think it is an
attempt to extend the GPL as far as possible, and license FUD.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us