Re: Slow Connection

From: Andreas Kretzer <andi(at)kretzer-berlin(dot)de>
To: Postgres Interface List <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Slow Connection
Date: 2002-01-28 08:15:42
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Achmad Amin schrieb:

> Dear all,
> I develop application using Delphi and Postgres (use
> Winzeos component to connect to postgres). But I have
> problem, when I run application at first time, I wait
> about 1 minute to see the application. I think this
> happen because my application to connect to postgres
> too slow. What I must do to reduce speed connection

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ you mean increase?

> between my application to postgres ?

Well, often this behavior can result from a timed out
name lookup (I assume you don't really have an official
name for your client :-) To check this, try to 'telnet'
to your server before you do anything else (so you will
have the same situation). If this takes more than just
one or two seconds - but succeeds after a while, perhaps
the one minute delay you mentioned - then it probably is
the name lookup. In this case you should add the IP address
of your Win98 box and a name to either your '/etc/hosts' or
your named data base (probably in /var/named).

If telnet just works fast then try to do a select statement
using 'psql'. Does this one take the that long? Can you
afterwards connect fast from your Windoze-Box? Then
it probably is the size of your database in relation to your
memory ... 32MB is not much for a database server if you
want to handle a huge amount of data. This would be accompanied
by havy disk activity. Perhaps you can shut down your X
environment - if you have it running.

Hope this helps

Andreas