Re: Pronunciation of "PostgreSQL" (was: Re: [HACKERS] New man pages)

From: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: Thomas Good <tomg(at)nrnet(dot)org>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)pathwaynet(dot)com>, Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>, " José Soares" <jose(at)sferacarta(dot)com>, Postgres Hackers List <hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Pronunciation of "PostgreSQL" (was: Re: [HACKERS] New man pages)
Date: 1999-08-10 13:14:58
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-hackers

> And how do you say Linux, Thomas? I have a friend in Regina, Saskatchewan
> (that's ra-Jine-ah, not ra-geen-ah) who says LINE-ex...I wince every time
> I hear it. In fact, sometimes, if I'm less than fully caffeinated it
> doesn't even register that he's made a reference to Linn-Ucks...
> (Usually I truncate it to Lin-icks or simply: Slackware ;-)

*rolf* Actually, that's a problem! When I first started with
linn-ucks, the person who got me going pronounced it line-ex. And
later, when I asked, she said that she intentionally mispronounced it
so she could trace the lineage of the person; that is, so she could
tell if they had learned about it from someone that she knew. Pretty
dastardly... ;)

But I try to pronounce it in Finnish rather than Texan nowadays...

- Thomas

South Pasadena, California