Re: Pronunciation of "PostgreSQL" (was: Re: [HACKERS] New man pages)

From: Thomas Good <tomg(at)nrnet(dot)org>
To: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)pathwaynet(dot)com>, Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>, José Soares <jose(at)sferacarta(dot)com>, Postgres Hackers List <hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Pronunciation of "PostgreSQL" (was: Re: [HACKERS] New man pages)
Date: 1999-08-10 12:05:46
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 10 Aug 1999, Thomas Lockhart wrote:

> > > How hard is it to say "Postgresquel", really? Don't tell me you've been
> > > saying "Postgres cue ell".....;-)
>
> I'll bet that even the coiners of the term have some differences in
> their pronunciation. For the record, I use "Postgres" usually, and
> "Postgres-cue-ell" when forced...
>
> - Thomas
>
> Since we cap the "S", however you pronounce "SQL" should probably be
> how you do the end of "PostgreSQL". Lamar, are you a "ess-quel"
> person? That may be a regional dialect. Don't even get me started on
> that: it took me years to get over my strong inclination to use
> "hacker" to refer to a bad, clueless programmer...

And how do you say Linux, Thomas? I have a friend in Regina, Saskatchewan
(that's ra-Jine-ah, not ra-geen-ah) who says LINE-ex...I wince every time
I hear it. In fact, sometimes, if I'm less than fully caffeinated it
doesn't even register that he's made a reference to Linn-Ucks...
(Usually I truncate it to Lin-icks or simply: Slackware ;-)

------- North Richmond Community Mental Health Center -------

Thomas Good MIS Coordinator
Vital Signs: tomg@ { admin | q8 } .nrnet.org
Phone: 718-354-5528
Fax: 718-354-5056

/* Member: Computer Professionals For Social Responsibility */