Re: [HACKERS] Re: [ANNOUNCE] New man pages

From: "Oliver Elphick" <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
Cc: Oliver Elphick <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk>, Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Postgres Hackers List <hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Re: [ANNOUNCE] New man pages
Date: 1999-08-10 13:16:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Thomas Lockhart wrote:
>> Pages from multi-character sections are stored in the directory for the
>> first character. For instance: /usr/man/man7/select.7l.gz
>
>Oh! afaik that is one option; the man system in general could also
>handle man7l/select.7.gz right? You would update /etc/man.config to
>add, say, "7l" to the list of sections.
>
>But is is against Debian policy to invent new directories for pages?

6.1 Manual pages

You must install manual pages in nroff source form, in appropriate places
under /usr/share/man. You should only use sections 1 to 9 (see the FHS
^^^
FHS only defines 1 to 8; this may be an error

for more details). You must not install a preformatted `cat page'.

The FHS has a section (4.8.2) on manual pages, which we ought to follow
if possible: <http://www.pathname.com/fhs/2.0/fhs-4.8.2.html>

--
Vote against SPAM: http://www.politik-digital.de/spam/
Oliver Elphick Oliver(dot)Elphick(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk