Re: [PORTS] RedHat6.0 & Alpha

From: Uncle George <gatgul(at)voicenet(dot)com>
To: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>, pgsql-ports(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [PORTS] RedHat6.0 & Alpha
Date: 1999-07-20 14:58:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-ports

Thomas Lockhart wrote:

> btw, RedHat is interested in doing a maintenance release of Postgres
> rpms, and would dearly love to have the Alpha port problems solved (or
> vica versa; they hate that their shipping rpms are broken or not
> available on one of their three supported architectures).

Well, in order to do this properly for linux/alpha & the egcs compiler u
need to know more, or realize more on the dangers of casting. Please
note that I haven't said improperly, blithely, or arbitarily. Things
just happen in the alpha if things are not properly casted. In the case
of postgres this happens to be a (major) problem with function calls &
function parameters. I have fixed just enough to get the regression
tests to work.
BTW I'd really love to have a redhat 6.0/alpha cd but not at the going
price of $79.00

> Uncle G, could you tell us the actual port string configure generates
> for your platform? At the moment, PORTNAME on my i686 box says
> "linux", and I don't see architecture info. But perhaps we can have
> configure deduce an ARCH parameter too? It already knows it when first
> identifying the system...

What is PORTNAME. i ( as well as others ) use uname.