Re: Simpler dump?

From: Ted Byers <r(dot)ted(dot)byers(at)rogers(dot)com>
To: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>, Tino Wildenhain <tino(at)wildenhain(dot)de>
Cc: Ted Byers <r(dot)ted(dot)byers(at)rogers(dot)com>, "Uwe C(dot) Schroeder" <uwe(at)oss4u(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Simpler dump?
Date: 2007-12-10 15:48:49
Lists: pgsql-general

--- Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com> wrote:

> Tino Wildenhain wrote:
> > Hi Ted,
> >
> > Ted Byers wrote:
> >> Thanks Uwe
> >>
> >> This is a great start. It reduces the dump from
> 2 MB
> >> down to 167K, but out of 6833 lines of SQL, 5744
> >> relate to the public schema in the DB, and I
> didn't
> >> touch that. It has over a dozen types, 419
> functions,
> >> &c., that were put there by postgresql the moment
> >> created the database.
>
> > Well thats usually not the case unless you changed
> > the default database per accident.
>
> The database is called "template1" See the manuals
> regarding "CREATE
> DATABASE" for details.

Thanks Richard. To date, I never worried about
templates for my databases. I just created them, and
when I needed to deploy them, I dumped them, put the
dump file on a memoery stick and carried it physically
to the production server and restored there.

Anyway, the extra stuff i don't need for this specific
database appears to be for postgis, which I'd enabled
when I installed because I need gis capability for
another database. But it seems to be putting gis
support in all of the databases I created. I'd
thought that, by enabling it, I'd be able to turn it
on when I needed it.

Amyway, when I look at the server using pgadmin, I
don't see either template0 or template1. I see only
template_postgis. Should I be able to see template0
and template1 among the databases on the server, or
are they normally hidden to minimise the chances of
getting them screwed up.

At this stage, how can I get a template I can use by
default that doesn't include the postgis stuff, so I
can use the template_postgis only when I need it?

Thanks

Ted