Re: Simpler dump?

From: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
To: Ted Byers <r(dot)ted(dot)byers(at)rogers(dot)com>
Cc: Tino Wildenhain <tino(at)wildenhain(dot)de>, "Uwe C(dot) Schroeder" <uwe(at)oss4u(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Simpler dump?
Date: 2007-12-10 15:57:42
Lists: pgsql-general

Ted Byers wrote:
> Amyway, when I look at the server using pgadmin, I
> don't see either template0 or template1. I see only
> template_postgis. Should I be able to see template0
> and template1 among the databases on the server, or
> are they normally hidden to minimise the chances of
> getting them screwed up.

There'll be an option in pgadmin somewhere to show them. Not sure where
I'm afraid, I mostly use the command-line.

> At this stage, how can I get a template I can use by
> default that doesn't include the postgis stuff, so I
> can use the template_postgis only when I need it?

You can just drop template1 and re-create it using template0 (which is
read-only) as it's template. Check the docs for CREATE DATABASE and
google a little for examples.

You can probably do all this from pgadmin too, of course.

--
Richard Huxton
Archonet Ltd