Re: Big 7.1 open items

From: Don Baccus <dhogaza(at)pacifier(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)yahoo(dot)com>, Hiroshi Inoue <Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp>, Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Ross J(dot) Reedstrom" <reedstrm(at)rice(dot)edu>
Subject: Re: Big 7.1 open items
Date: 2000-06-16 19:37:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

At 03:00 PM 6/16/00 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:

>> OK, if symlinks are simply an implementation detail hidden from the
>> dbadmin, and if the physical structure is kept in the db so it can
>> be rebuilt if necessary automatically, then I don't mind symlinks.
>
>I'm not sure about keeping it in the db --- creates a bit of a
>chicken-and-egg problem doesn't it?

Not if the tablespace creates preceeds the tables stored in them.

> Maybe there needs to be a
>"system database" that has nailed-down pathnames (no tablespaces
>for you baby) and contains the critical installation-wide tables
>like pg_database, pg_user, pg_tablespace. A restore would have
>to restore these tables first anyway.

Oh, I see. Yes, when I've looked into this and have thought about
it I've assumed that there would always be a known starting point
which would contain the installation-wide tables.

From a practical point of view, I don't think that's really a
problem.

I've not looked into how Oracle does this, I assume it builds
a system tablespace on one of the initial mount points you give
it when you install the thing. The paths to the mount points
are stored in specific files known to Oracle, I think. It's
been over a year (not long enough!) since I've set up Oracle...

http://donb.photo.net.