Re: Big 7.1 open items

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Don Baccus <dhogaza(at)pacifier(dot)com>
Cc: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)yahoo(dot)com>, Hiroshi Inoue <Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp>, Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Ross J(dot) Reedstrom" <reedstrm(at)rice(dot)edu>
Subject: Re: Big 7.1 open items
Date: 2000-06-16 19:00:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Don Baccus <dhogaza(at)pacifier(dot)com> writes:
>> This isn't any harder for md.c to deal with than what we do now,
>> but by making the /N subdirectories be symlinks, the dbadmin could
>> easily arrange for extension segments to go on different filesystems.

> I personally dislike depending on symlinks to move stuff around.
> Among other things, a pg_dump/restore (and presumably future
> backup tools?) can't recreate the disk layout automatically.

Good point, we'd need some way of saving/restoring the tablespace
structures.

>> We'd still want to create some tools to help the dbadmin with slinging
>> all these symlinks around, of course.

> OK, if symlinks are simply an implementation detail hidden from the
> dbadmin, and if the physical structure is kept in the db so it can
> be rebuilt if necessary automatically, then I don't mind symlinks.

I'm not sure about keeping it in the db --- creates a bit of a
chicken-and-egg problem doesn't it? Maybe there needs to be a
"system database" that has nailed-down pathnames (no tablespaces
for you baby) and contains the critical installation-wide tables
like pg_database, pg_user, pg_tablespace. A restore would have
to restore these tables first anyway.

> Make the code that creates and otherwise manipulates tablespaces
> do the work, while keeping the low-level file access protocol simple.

Right, that's the bottom line for me.