Re: bug in SignalSomeChildren

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: bug in SignalSomeChildren
Date: 2010-12-17 15:27:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I think the attached might be a little tidier. Thoughts?

I'm not really thrilled at the idea of calling
IsPostmasterChildWalSender for every child whether or not it will have
any impact on the decision. That involves touching shared memory which
can be rather expensive (see previous discussions about shared cache
lines and so forth).

The existing coding is pretty ugly, I agree.