Re: Another Modest Proposal: Platforms

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com
Cc: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, PG Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Another Modest Proposal: Platforms
Date: 2010-09-22 22:03:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I mean, it took us forever to require Perl 5.8.

... and we still make a point of not having a hard requirement for
that. If you don't want plperl, you can build from a tarball with
no perl at all.

Given the project history, I can't see us turning a dependency
we just added this week into a hard requirement anytime soon.

Now having said that, if you define "supported platform" to mean
"gets tested on the buildfarm", we do require Perl. And CVS,
which will soon get replaced by a requirement for Git. But I'm
not going to tell someone to get lost if they file a portability
bug report without having set up a buildfarm animal first.