Re: [HACKERS] Developer's Wiki

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org, Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>, Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Developer's Wiki
Date: 2006-09-17 18:25:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-www

> On Sat, Sep 16, 2006 at 09:15:24PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Fortunately, none of the real developers would have to pay any attention
>> to any such page ... and you can bet they wouldn't.

> If someone wants to spend an afternoon putting up a coherent
> description of their wishlist item complete with possible problems and
> solutions, then I don't see why we should stop them.

Because if they're willing to put any actual effort into it, the right
way is to post that same item to the mailing list where it can be
discussed. If it survives such discussion (very possibly in a modified
form) *then* it belongs on a TODO list. The first problem with a wiki
TODO is that it will not reflect any sort of community consensus, only
the opinions of whoever edited the page last. The second problem is
that setting it up represents a unilateral attempt to redefine (bypass?)
the community's design/development process, which is a process that has
served us well for many years and is not showing any signs of being
broken.